Spiced Squash and Apple Soup
A wonderful, thick, spicy puree with tart overtones. Use low fat yogurt instead of whipping cream for a low fat soup, but do not boil yogurt, as it will curdle.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 large apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ dried chilli flakes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot, squash and apple and sauté until softened, about three minutes. Add allspice, cinnamon, thyme and chilli flakes.
- Stir in stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Puree soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Return soup to pot. Add cream and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding salt as required. Garnish with chopped chives before serving.